Sys Admin TALK Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.6 Sys Admin TALK Forums > Software Forums > Automation > helpdesk software
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
solaris
Fledgling SysAdmin

helpdesk software

hey all

I need freeware software realted to helpdesk management software. when a new call come i should log in my s\w and same way i should track the call is it finish or not and h\w & s\w inventory i should do in that software.

can any one guide me where can i get this free software

plss its very urgent
solaris

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-15-2004 01:26 PM
solaris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for solaris Click here to Send solaris a Private Message Find more posts by solaris Add solaris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cailin
SAT Guru

Well, I've seen a number of write-your-own sollutions in the past, but they weren't great and they needed some work.

What I saw in the past were either Access Databases with an Access front-end or some generic database run on a webserver, with ASP/CFM pages to read/modify the database.

Interesting questions to ask are:
1. How much time are you and your employer willing to put into making a roll-your-own package work?
2. How many calls will you be handling a day?
3. What kind of information do you want to entered with every case? Would you like work logs to be entered? And how about final sollutions, so you can look back in the future?
4. Must the tool be absolutely free?

Cheers!

Thomas

Old Post 07-15-2004 03:56 PM
Cailin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cailin Click here to Send Cailin a Private Message Find more posts by Cailin Add Cailin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sunpuke
SAT Guru

RE: Helpdesk software

If you have an Oracle DBA who can use Oracle Developer and Forms, you can cook up a simple help desk web based application. At a previous job one guy I knew did it in about two weeks.

If you do not have the talent or personnel to spare, then you need to look at a commercial solution like Remedy or Vantive.

Old Post 07-15-2004 05:00 PM
sunpuke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sunpuke Click here to Send sunpuke a Private Message Find more posts by sunpuke Add sunpuke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CMI
Fledgling SysAdmin

Commercial solutions are nice, but if you don't see what you like, hire a web application developer to do the work for you

Old Post 07-15-2004 05:06 PM
CMI is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CMI Click here to Send CMI a Private Message Visit CMI's homepage! Find more posts by CMI Add CMI to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cailin
SAT Guru

Well, he did say he wanted a free sollution, so getting someone to write it for them won't work...

But I don't really see another way around it... Any sollution requires time and money. Either you:
A) Download some free software and put time into modifying it
B) Get someone to write you a simple piece of software
C) Buy a commercial product...

There's not much in this world that comes for free these days

Old Post 07-16-2004 07:13 AM
Cailin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cailin Click here to Send Cailin a Private Message Find more posts by Cailin Add Cailin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwebihaf
SAT Newbie

Look at this free Web-based Helpdesk software

http://www.ilient.com/?adgrp=SysAid

Old Post 04-17-2007 12:17 PM
kwebihaf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwebihaf Click here to Send kwebihaf a Private Message Find more posts by kwebihaf Add kwebihaf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Salvaico
SAT Guru

I've used both request-tracker and mantis quite successfully for help desks.

I'm not sure what "and h\w & s\w inventory i should do in that software." means. A hardware and software inventory system is a separate program from a ticket tracker. Here are some options for that http://software.newsforge.com/artic...9206&tid=91

Old Post 04-17-2007 05:33 PM
Salvaico is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Salvaico Click here to Send Salvaico a Private Message Find more posts by Salvaico Add Salvaico to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cailin
SAT Guru

@Salvaico:
Some tools used for helpdesks actually have the option of integrating a CMDB into them. ARS Remedy for example is used by my current client to keep track of incidents/problems/changes and includes the hardware and application CMDB.

Almost everything you need for a complete ITIL setup

@Solaris:
Take a look at Request Tracker (as was suggested earlier), by Best Practical -> http://www.bestpractical.com.

Old Post 04-26-2007 08:54 AM